Skip to content

Graduate Programs

Our graduate degree programs offer M.A. and Ph.D. degrees in East Asian Languages and Literatures with concentrations in Chinese, Japanese, and Korean and tracks in language/linguistics and literatures/cultures. Our MA programs provide broad graduate-level study of these fields, while our PhD programs offer advanced training for those who are interested in pursuing academic careers in Chinese, Japanese, or Korean literature/culture or language/linguistics.

Degree Requirements 

All graduate forms are located in the Laulima site “MAN EALL Graduate Students”.

Graduate Students
Graduate Programs

How to Apply

  • Applications are made through the Graduate Division
  • Applicants to our graduate program are expected to have sufficient training in the language of their intended research focus, Chinese, Japanese, or Korean, in order to be considered for admission to our program. Students who do not have any background in the target language or have only had initial exposure to the language are unlikely to be considered for the program.*  A specific level of proficiency in the target language and types of language skills (speaking, listening, reading and writing) expected for applicants differ depending on the level of the program (MA vs. PhD), the discipline (literature or language/linguistics), and the expectations of the faculty members in the language section (Chinese, Japanese and Korean).
  • Information about the application process and required documents that are specific to EALL can be found here

*While students often improve various aspects of their proficiency in the target language in our program, the primary goal of our graduate program is to train students to do academic research with the language. 

Financial Aid

  • We offer various forms of financial support to qualified graduate students, including Graduate Assistantships, Achievement Scholarships, and Non-Resident Tuition Waivers.
  • The University of Hawaiʻi is a member of the Western Interstate Commission for Higher Education (WICHE). Students from certain Western states may be eligible to attend UHM on resident tuition.

For more information, please contact Haidan Wang (Graduate Chair) or Cherry Lacsina (Graduate Advisor).