- Applications are accepted year-round.
- But the priority deadline for Fall/Spring semester is January 1st/September 1st.
U.S. citizenship or permanent residency is not required, and applications are welcome from students who meet the following two requirements:
- Undergraduate degree in any field.
- Minimum proficiency of Intermediate-mid (as defined by ACTFL).
We will conduct a 30-minute Oral Proficiency Interview (OPI) with all applicants.
Submit the following application materials by the application deadline.
A. Office of Graduate Education Required Documents
- Graduate Admissions Application and $100 application fee
- GRE Scores: Scores cannot be more than 5 years old. Official GRE scores must be sent directly to Office of Graduate Education Student Services. The Educational Testing Service (ETS) code for UHM is 4867.
- The department has no minimal “cut scores” for the GRE; an applicant’s scores are one of several factors considered in the admissions decision.
- Transcripts: One transcript is required from each post-secondary institution attended, including any study abroad or exchange programs, summer programs, and non-degree work and extension programs.
- Official transcripts must be sent directly from the issuing institution(s), or in sealed institutional envelopes if submitted with the application, to:
Office of Graduate Education
2540 Maile Way
Spalding Hall 354
Honolulu, HI 96822
B. Department of East Asian Languages and Literature (EALL) Required Documents
Starting from June 1, 2017, all EALL materials must be submitted via the Graduate Application Supplemental Documents Upload Website which can be accessed through the Graduate Admissions Application website.
- A completed UHM KLFC MA Application form
- A current Curriculum Vitae
- 3 Letters of Recommendation: You will need to “Request a Recommendation” via the online
supplemental website. Letters should address your capacity to engage in academic work at the
graduate level – for this reason; letters from former faculty are generally most informative.
- Statement of Objectives: Your statement should primarily address your current research
interests (including your prior study or life experiences that have led you to these current
interests), your long-term objectives for your course of graduate study, and your plans for
meeting these objectives while enrolled in the Department of East Asian Languages and
Literatures at UH Manoa. (Included in the UHM KLFC MA application form)
- Unofficial copy of GRE scores (no older than 5 years)
- Unofficial copy of TOEFL scores (no older than 2 years)
- Unofficial copy of transcripts from each post-secondary institution attended, including any study abroad or exchange programs, summer programs, and non-degree work and extension programs.
* If you would like to apply for a Teaching Assistantship Application, download the application at this link and submit it through the Graduate Application Supplemental Documents Upload Website. Your admission recommendation letters will be considered for your teaching assistant application.
* For financial support information, visit our web page.